I'm not sure why, but I never guessed I'd have a child with curly hair. It took until Julia was 2.5 until I actually knew that she had curly hair. For 2 years she had barely any hair. As it turns out curly hair grows really slowly so in Julia's baby book under first hair cut I would always write how old she was and then "not yet."
At 2.5 it was official. Julia had curly hair and mom had to learn to take care of it. The photo below was when she decided to brush it herself...when it was dry.
What I've learned about toddler's/preschoolers with curly hair:
- Don't give your curly haired baby/toddler a hair cut by wetting all her hair, pulling down straight and then cutting off two inches, oops!
- Don't think your toddler can take care of all that her/himself
- Don't brush when it's dry (see above)
- Do - use way more conditioner than you think is right
- Do - once hair is long enough put it in a braid to sleep. Put in the extra effort even when you don't want to braid at night. You'll save yourself time in the long run and save your toddler tears. Like the old saying goes, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."